44. 25°c and Goosebumps

Time to move on again. With only three weeks to travel from north to south, we are in constant transit and loving it. This, undoubtedly, will result in a messed up sleep schedule, but with everything we get to experience along the way I will gladly take this con. Our day started at 3am this morning… Mainly because Louise is a born-and-bred Dane, and cannot get used to the lack of punctuality. By 4:20am we boarded another night bus (I know, gasp! A whole 20 minutes late!). A mere four hours later we arrived in Hue with a bus load of other backpackers who were all looking for the same hostel. We all assumed this would make it super cheap for us to take a taxi… However, the taxi drivers were having none of it, asking  for 12USD for the mere two kilometres. So we said screw it and we walked, backpacks and all. I greet the receptionist with burning calves and sweat dripping down my back – it’s so, so muggy here!

We took it slow from then on, enjoying some computer time and a crap shower. Feeling rejuvenated, we hop in a taxi and start our trip of terror.


Ho Thuy Tien’s Abandoned Water and Amusement Park, Hue

Visiting an abandoned amusement park has always been on my bucket-list, and I am glad to say that it has now been mentally crossed off. Shout out to our Kimchee buddy for this great recommendation! From my minimal research, I have learnt that the park opened in 2004 by a local tourism company… Though, as many things here in Vietnam, it was never properly finished and closed down soon after. It seems as though the park receives more attention nowadays than back in 2004.

The creepiness got increasingly intense as you wandered slack-jawed around the park. As a total contradiction to the desolation of the area, we were constantly being overtaken by tourists on motorbikes. The park is built around a huge (possibly) man-made lake, so – lucky for us and our sense of direction – it was pretty easy to navigate. The walk starts when you cross a rusty bridge, where you have a great view of the park.

We continued into the overgrown stadium area, where the walls are covered in colourful graffiti.

With glass lying everywhere, I was happy I had decided against wearing my worn-down flip-flops.

Then came the part I had been most excited for: the slides!

I ordered Louise to jump on the plastic elephant – letting her know that this would be one of the very few occasions where she would have the opportunity to humanely sit on an elephant. She didn’t take much convincing, and as you can tell from the picture, she seemed to have a real knack for it. Yes, I do have a slightly irrational fear of waterslides. Why? Because of a broken nose and a near-drowning experience. So I guess I was hoping to overcome my fear by hopping onto the tube slide. It didn’t work. The tube simply served as a microphone, eerily echoing the voices of the people standing above. It was terrifying.

Speaking of sounds, we kept on hearing this guttural noise, which sounded quite like a hippo. When we reached these slides we realised that there was a loose cow on the rampage.


Then came the dragon aquarium. This place was magical, and definitely the scariest of the lot. It didn’t help that I was wearing sunglasses in the already dark rooms.

You could walk all the way through the dragons body and into its mouth, where there was a great view of the entire park.

After this, I had a little photoshoot on this retro car:

We rounded off the day with a milkshake and some Murakami by the lake.